Immigration

Immigration is a very popular topic that has been talked about greatly especially with this most recent election. Immigrants have been coming to this country for centuries. America has been the land of freedom and opportunity. The United States of America has been a chance for immigrants to start a new life and get a second chance. We all know that America is referred to “The Melting Pot”.

I think that immigrant play an important role in our society. I think that if immigrants want to start a new life and work in our society that they should have a fair chance as long as the abide by our laws. I think that it becomes an issue when laws are being broken. I know Trump is big on keeping immigrants out and making bigger borders.

With all of that being said something that I would wanted to address that have talked about is DACA. As it has been stated Donald Trump is attempting to remove this because he wants more border security and less immigrants.”The DACA program was formed through executive order by former President Barack Obama in 2012 and allows certain people, called Dreamers, who come to the U.S. illegally as minors to be protected from immediate deportation. Recipients are able to request “consideration of deferred action” for a period of two years which is subject to renewal.”

I think that DACA is a very powerful program that needs to continue to be used and not terminated. It gives children and teenagers a better opportunity, it gives nearly 800,000 immigrants the feeling of working and having the citizen feeling. I think that’s what makes us so great as a country that people will work hard in order be apart of our great nation. The main question is should DACA continue to be association or do you support Trumps movement to terminate it.

7 Responses to Immigration

1. jackbuck1 says:

I think that we need to keep DACA. I think this because it is a very powerful program and I think that because we allow people to come here and get education makes a nation that welcomes people. we want to people to feel welcome here. I want to live in a society where people come first. where everyone has a right to get an education. I think why Trump wants to end it is because he is determined to end everything that President Obama did. Trump is preying off people’s fear. He will say “They are murderers”, “They are drug dealers”, or “They are taking our jobs”. These are all things that he and his supporters are saying. This seem highly immoral. If we think that we are the greatest country in the world then we need to act like it. The greatest country does not prey on fear, they do not make people feel inferior, and they do not bully people. The greatest country makes people feel welcome, they invest in people, and the act with class and dignity. DACA is something that makes people feel like the US cares about people and to take it away sends a pretty disgusting message to everyone around the word.

2. ghostcole says:

I agree with you I also believe that if immigrants want to come to america they should abide by our laws. Immigrants should not be permitted to stay if they are breaking the laws. This election has brought immigration to a major hot topic and unfortunately it is always a few bad apples that make a negative impression of immigrants who are in america to work and have a better life.
    I also believe that DACA should be kept since dreamers have been here since a very young age to the point that they do not know the way of life of the country they come from. It would make very hard for those dreamers to transition to a country they did not grow up in dreamers are essentially americans. I do not support Trump decision to terminate the program it is a very wrong move on his end to do that since dreamers are getting educated and they are abiding the laws they pay taxes and are employed.

• LukaKolomejac says:

Trump is against Obama’s DACA program because it was created through an executive order and not through congress. President Trump argues that this makes it unconstitutional. A recent Politico poll from September 13 shows that 73 percent of voters want legislation to protect Dreamers from deportation. The president has on numerous occasions stated that he would love for Congress to pass a program based on DACA. So what’s the holdup? As usual, Congress is tied up in specifics. Additionally, just yesterday (Oct. 25) Trump stated that he would love to make an immigration deal to protect “Dreamers”, but wants money to build a wall along the border with Mexico in exchange. In essence, the President is using a popular idea (protection for dreamers) on both sides of the isle as a pawn to try to get border security concessions. I expect a DACA program to be part of a year end spending bill along with (perhaps) funding for border security, but not a wall.

3. This comment is from a student (not Jennet):

Thank you for your post. I too agree that D.AC.A. has played in an integral part in the hopes and ambitions of tens of thousands of young people brought to the United States through no fault or choosing of their own. During the course of my life, I have met many friends in addition to other professionals and students who fit that description, my hair-stylist of several years being among them. I have found many of these so-called “DREAMers” to be hard-working, possessing an entrepreneurial spirit, and sharing many of the same desires, aspirations, and challenges as myself. The issue of what is America’s best path forward in dealing with their legal status is one that deserves much consideration and discussion. Your question about whether the Trump administration should terminate D.A.C.A. or keep it in place is a significant one, the effects of it consequential to the lives of a great deal of hardworking and good people. I will do my best to provide what I believe is a thoughtful response.
    At the same time that Donald Trump announced the-soon-to-be end of his predecessor’s executive action regarding D.A.C.A., he directed Congress to pass legislation to save the program. Understanding the delicacy and the enormous human cost involved he empathized with their plight saying “I do not favor punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents. We must also recognize that we are a nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws.” I applaud him for his understanding of the continuing legal implications for too many of these young immigrants had he not put an end to Obama’s executive action, and commend him on this act of political courage. Let me explain why.
    To start, D.A.C.A. never promised citizenship to anyone. As stated in your post, recipients of the program set forth under Obama, were only granted a two year consideration of deferred action, which would allow them time to begin the process of becoming a citizen of the U.S. Without fear of deportation, they would be free to continue living and working here. While many of the recipients of D.A.C.A. have begun the process of citizenship, too many others have not. Many are finding out that they are ineligible for citizenship because of crimes they have committed while in the U.S.; other’s will find themselves without the evidence or documents required to satisfy D.A.C.A.’s requirements. For those who are unable to complete this lengthy and often complicated process, they will still continue to live in the shadows of uncertainty and lawlessness, never having been given the opportunity to really fully integrate their lives into the fabric of America. They will forever remain in fear of deportation to countries they have no recollection of.
    Legislation enacted by Congress however, has the power and legal authority to make the requirements for DREAMers wanting to gain citizenship less stringent and less complicated. Legislation passed by Congress would also not face the same legal challenges as have the executive actions of both Obama and Trump. Another reason to find a permanent solution for them now is that even if Trump were to leave D.A.C.A. untouched, the next U.S. president would also have the ability to end it with the stroke of her/his pen. For reasons of fairness and expediency, the time to come up with a permanent and fair solution to the question of how best to appropriately handle the legal status of DREAMers is now. For as long as there remains any question legally or constitutionally regarding their status as United States citizens, young immigrants in America will continue to live with uncertainty. Anything less than an act of Congress providing all DREAMers with a compassionate and truly attainable pathway to citizenship, will sadly never be enough. This is what President Trump understands.

4. Lydia Chew says:

Thanks for your post! I do think that the status of DACA recipients, or DREAMers, is an important issue that NEEDS to be discussed in the open, and not behind closed doors. Today, I attended a DACA rally at ASU. The march began across University Bridge at the PV Beach, and then moved toward the center of campus, circled around the MU, and ended on Hayden Lawn. I wasn’t planning to attend, and in fact hadn’t even heard about it beforehand; it was a completely spontaneous decision on my part, and not motivated by support for or against the policy, but out of genuine curiosity.

What I found was (much like Tocqueville’s writings on race, as we discussed this morning) both heartwarming and disappointing. At Hayden Lawn, several key proponents of the pro-DACA movement gave impassioned speeches celebrating the diversity of our immigrant populations and the importance of providing students who are DACA recipients the opportunities that citizens or those born in the United States automatically receive. These beliefs are to me laudable. But my uneasiness arose instead with who the speaker was: a white, non-Hispanic male, born and raised in this country, who grew up in a private school and well-to-do upper-middle class family—a person of privilege. Is it right for this person to speak on behalf of DREAMers, who so often already go voiceless in this society? Or should we not be critical of the messenger, but instead focus on the message?

5. bijanm1995 says:

I agree with you that the DACA program has benefitted many young immigrants. On the other hand, saying president trump “wants less immigrants” is an ignorant statement. Trump’s policy is not based on keeping out immigrants. It aims to secure our borders from illegal immigration and putting higher regulations on immigrants coming from high risk areas. By building the wall this will help combat over $18 billion dollars a year in drug and smuggling profits made by the Mexican drug cartels.

There are also over 11 million illegal immigrants living in the us right now with a vast majority not paying taxes. This injures our economy with many illegal immigrants taking jobs and not paying taxes. The main problem with this is the economic ramifications. Many people’s rationale is that illegal immigrants are spending their money here so they are not injuring the economy, but this is not the case. Many people that come here illegally come for the economic opportunities, but coming form third world countries a lot of the times they send the majority of the money they make to their struggling families at home.

These are only a few among the many logical reasons backing Trump’s decisions to increase border security. To just blindly say that he doesn’t want immigrants is a lacking argument with not factual evidence.

6. jisthelamb says:

I think one reason to secure our boarders is because what we have so far has not worked including checkpoints, NSA, and citizenship process. I think the main point in securing the boarders to this extreme level is to combat infiltrators and other illegal issues such as drug trafficking and human trafficking. The security process has to be tightened up because so far what we have has not been very effective enough. I think the point is to allow immigrants into the country with the intention of become legal citizens and playing an active role in out participatory democracy.