Women In Politics

Two weeks ago one of our assigned readings was “What the Social Classes Owe Each Other” written by William Sumner. In the text Sumner talks about the role of the government he states, “at bottom there are two chief things which government has to deal. They are the property of men and honor of women” (pg. 342). I believe that in this quote Sumner showcases the idea that women are dependent upon men, and that women viewed not as persons but as property. In the early times of history, it was a very common idea that a woman is nothing without a man. Men were known to dominate in women in different aspects of life, especially in the political world; however, there has been a major change in the women have become very active in politics.

women_politics1

The incredible changes for women has happened throughout years in American history pertaining to certain aspects such as: education, employment, government and politics. These are all changes that did not arise suddenly, generations of women have come together to provide these changes. Women have put forth the effort attentively to create a better world for themselves, and they have succeeded tremendously. This path that women fought so hard for, has led to success; there are now women in positions of power such as mayors, governors, congresswomen and although there hasn’t been a woman to successfully become elected there has been women who have run for The President of the United States (such as Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Hilary Clinton, Carly Fiorina, and Geraldine Ferraro;click on the link for a list of all women whom have ran for president or vice president)

The website, Forbes.Com recently posted a list of the 20 most powerful women in politics. It was very encouraging to me to see how many women in America made that list. The two women who grabbed my attention the most on the list is Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton.

ef5d9b3ed5b33c0139f10c51d01bd596Michelle Obama is the current first lady of the United States, and she has been very active in politics, and making a change in the United States and well as globally. Obama took a stand for the causes such as military families, helping working women balance their lives between career and family, health and wellness, and encouraging women to partake in a form of national service. (Click to view Biography of Michelle Obama)

clintonHilary Clinton is a current candidate for the 2016 United States presidential election, former Senator of New York (2001-2009), former Secretary of State (2009-2013) as well as the past first lady of the United States. Its more than safe to say that Clinton has been very active in the political world, holding several different positions in government from local all the way to nationally she has made a major impact on the roles that women are capable of performing. According to Clinton’s biography during her term as Senator, “Clinton used her position to make women’s rights and human rights a central talking point of U.S. initiatives. She became one of the most traveled secretaries of state in American history, and promoted the use of social media to convey the country’s positions” (Hilary Clinton’s Biography).

Too often, it seems as if when politics are being spoken of the only successors that are spoken of are men. I feel that it is important for all to understand that women are just as capable of men. Women can take a stand on issues and help better our country the same that way men are able to. In contrast, to Sumner’s belief Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama, and several other women in politics shows that a woman is anything but dependent of man and more than property; but that women are able to go out and be just as successful and independent as a man.

Gender-equality2

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

-Taundra Rose

About trose91

Political Science Major @ Arizona State University

This entry was posted in Rights, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Women In Politics

1. malloysells says:

Rose,
    Once again I loved your blog post! I thought I’d add to the theme of women in politics by providing a little clip from my personal favorite presidential candidate Carly Fiorina! She’s so snarky, I love it! http://video.foxnews.com/v/4181149061001/carly-fiorina-on-why-women-can-be-president/?#sp=show-clips

2. zschilling says:

America has definitely came a long way when it pertains to the equality of its people. Your post gives substancial evidence of the push for womens rights and their equality. At one point in American history, Women were considered only property. Where they fought to finally get their rights to vote with the ratification of the 19th amendement in 1920. As our country developed and matured not only has our government pushed for more equality but more importantly so has our society as a whole. I beleive this is where there seems to be this invislbe line where something may be legal by the government but still faces adversity when it comes to society. For example, black rights and segreation. Where the government decided to end segregation in the 1950s however, integration faced a huge backlash from a portion of society. And then theres the latter where something is ilegal but viewed differently by majority of the people. An example being marijuana. Majority of people are for it, some states have legalized it, but our federal government still condones it. Even though america still faces adversities when coming to equality i beleive it is important to note that we are the world leader when it comes to equality and that it is important to continue to push for eqaulity among all people. And hopefully this will influence other nations to take part. Perhaps some influence on taiwans election of their first female president Tsai lng-wen.

3. tonybetz says:

Rose,
    I really liked your post! I completely agree that there has been a major change in the fact that more women have become more active in politics and I only hope this continues to improve! The fact that there is only 84 women in the House and 20 in the Senate is simply not enough, and I hope that come this election there will be a dramatic increase to further create a more proportionate representation for our country! Again I really enjoyed your post!

4. nicmccaleb says:

Rose,
    Your post is very in depth, good job. I totally agree with you and support women in every aspect of society. While my political ideas differ with those of Hillary Clinton, I think that having a women in such a prominent spot in the public’s eye is important for our constantly changing country.

One point that you brought up that I really like is the part about women joining the service. I respect all vets and think that equality within the services is important. Great job on the post!

5. christiesm says:

I really liked you post talking about women. I agree the women in politics are as much capable as men and fortunately people in our society are becoming less uncomfortable seeing women in power. Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton are definitely awesome examples of women in politics. I also really liked to see the list of 20 most influent women in politics today, I believe we will see many women in the future of politics showing the equality between men and women.

6. ricquelln says:

I LOVE your post!! I am all for women empowerment, especially women in politics. Before Hilary Clinton was the wife of a president, she was one of only three women, out of 43 lawyers, to work on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon; which I think is an amazing accomplishment for someone, especially a woman, to do so right out of law school. Just using that one, out of her many, accomplishment for an example shows that women have so much potential to do great things, and be something other than a mans property.

7. pooh0bear8 says:

Strong post, and I agree with your point of views. “In contrast, to Sumner’s belief Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama, and several other women in politics shows that a woman is anything but dependent of man and more than property; but that women are able to go out and be just as successful and independent as a man.” While society doesn’t change over night one fact is clear, and that is women are & will become the dominate figures if statistics with education continue. Ever since the mid-ninety the women have began to outpace men in enrollment in high-schools and college, according to the Pew Research Center. (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2014/03/06/womens-college-enrollment-gains-leave-men-behind/) Fortune magazine say it still is a long road for a true cultural change, but believes equality is here & groups need unleash its power. “The facts are plain, if puzzling: Not only do women enter college at higher rates than men, but they’re less likely to drop out once they get there. Female grads now account for about 60% of U.S. bachelor’s degree holders.” (http://fortune.com/2013/03/27/boys-vs-girls-whats-behind-the-college-grad-gender-gap/) If this generation of women up and coming, and future generations of women continue this path of success may I dare the United States of America in two-hundred years power may lay with the female population?

8. nshah210 says:

I really like your post. I agree that it has taken women many years to get to the position we are in right now. I think it will take a lot more just to get where we need to be. I think one of the places that needs more women and general diversity is in Congress. There are just too many men that are holding positions that doesn’t make the country live up to the progressive claims it makes when there are so many old white men just sitting there deciding the future of a nation that has so much diversity. But overall, I really enjoyed the message that you’re bringing out in your post.